Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week 2: Good calls, bad calls

If you checked out this blog last week, then you probably did okay this week in your fantasy football league. It was one of those good weeks where many of the predictions came true. It won’t happen every week, so help me celebrate a successful week two.

Bad Calls:
Jahvid Best – RB Detroit
I was very high on Best entering the season. I had no idea that he would have the kind of impact he’s had less far. My bad call on Best this week was, I left him off my week top 40 RB rankings. So technically, I had 40 other RBs ahead of Best this week. I missed him completely and he had a huge week. You can bet I won’t miss Best again.

Randy Moss – WR New England
I thought Darrelle Revis’ hamstring injury was a ploy and he would shut Moss down. It turns out Revis was gimpy and unable to completely shut down Moss. Moss made a terrific one-handed catch for a long TD. I hope you kept Moss in your line-up (my opponent didn’t. Thanks for reading my blog).

Tim Hightower – RB Arizona
You won’t find this one on my blog, but on Twitter I told a fantasy football owner to consider Arian Foster over Hightower (sorry Justintime56). Hightower scored an 80-yard TD against the Atlanta Falcons. I have no read on Hightower. I advise you to never ask me about him again.

Good Calls:
Ahmad Bradshaw – RB New York Giants
I warned Brandon Jacobs’ owners his days may be numbered in New York, but man, I didn’t see this coming. The big RB went off Sunday night, accidently tossing his helmet into the stands in disgust. Bradshaw is the Giants best option going forward, look for him to continue to carry the load.

Kansas City Defense
I proclaimed the KC defense back, and in week two they held up their end of the bargain. I said the new Chiefs defense had “an active secondary that could make plays.” Wouldn’t you know it, Brandon Flowers intercepted a pass and returned it for a TD. Add Dexter McCulster, Javier Arenas and Eric Berry to the mix and KC is a pretty good defensive option in your starting line-up.

Mark Clayton – WR St. Louis
After a solid week one performance, I targeted free agent Clayton in my league. I hope you did too. Clayton finished week two with two TDs. As I predicted, Clayton is on pace to score more fantasy football points than TJ Houshmanzadeh, who replaced him in Baltimore. If Clayton’s still available in your league, stop wasting time and go get him.

Shonn Greene – RB NY Jets
I made the statement that Greene may have peaked as a RB. While I'm not ready to write his professional football obituary, I am looking pretty good on that call. Greene's running mate, LaDainian Tomlinson, is looking more like the Jets go-to RB. Tomlinson is averaging more than six yards per carry in the first two games and has outrushed Greene 138 yards to 70 yards (virtually same amount of carries: LT: 22, Greene: 20). Look to dump Greene to someone who doesn't know any better.

Percy Harvin - WR Minnesota
I have warned you about Harvin and his injury risk. If it's not his migraines (he missed another practice Wednesday because of a migraine), it's his hip; if it's not his hip, it's something else. This guy will keep frustrating you all season long. He's a long way from being a weekly fantasy football contributor and it might be time to cut ties, at least sit him on your bench. As for my other prediction about the Vikings receiving corps, Visanthe Shiancoe led the team in receiving for a second straight week. The big TE is the only Vikings receiver worth a look at this point. Bench Brett Favre too, if you haven't already.

Adrian Peterson vs. Chris Johnson
You had the feeling Peterson was due for a big game, and he certainly didn't disappoint. He out rushed Johnson (AP: 145 yards, 1 TD; CJ: 34 yards) and added five catches for 51 yards. Look for Peterson to have another big game this week against the Detroit Lions. And we should cut Johnson some slack, he did face a stout Pittsburgh defense. He should bounce back nicely with a game against the New York Giants. I give the week three (slight) advantage to Peterson again.

Michael Vick – QB Philadelphia
Most people picked Vick to have a solid game against the Detroit Lions, but few expected him to be named starter in week three. I'm not ready to call him an every week starter yet, but he's looking a lot like the Vick of old, and that's a good thing.

Jerome Harrison – RB Cleveland
After just nine carries for 52 yards in the first game, the Browns vowed to get Harrison the ball more. In week two Cleveland did just that, handing the ball to Harrison 16 times. Harrison responded by rushing for a dismal 33 yards. Now he's battling a thigh injury, expect less from Harrsion and more from Peyton Hillis.

No comments:

Post a Comment